Monday, March 22, 2010

Interview with Marylands 1st MMA fighter....Steven Baker!

He was the 1st man to ever walk down the isle for a MMA fight in Maryland history! He fought in the first ever MMA fight in Maryland history. And unfortunatly, he also lost the 1st fight in Maryland MMA history. When it comes to Trivia questions, Steven Baker will be the answer to many questions 100 years from now. And at ShoGun fights 2 to be held at 1st Mariner Arena this saturday night who better to kick things off than Steven Baker. Once again he will be in the 1st fight of the evening. I recently had a chance to interview this dangerous MMA fighter, and here is what he had to say……

Tim Lumber: You were the first ever MMA fighter to ever enter the cage in Maryland. You will become a trivia question oneday. How does it feel to have become the first ever person to ever walk down the isle in Maryland MMA history?

Steven Baker: It was a great honor. I wanna thank John Rallo for making all that happen , he’s a class act and great representative for the sport of m.m.a. . I wasn’t nervous until Big Dan was checking me over outside of the cage and then the heart beat picked up , and when I stepped in there the cage it was enormous compared to what I used to fight in. It was like an ocean. I looked around at all the people, and saw all the cameras flashing. For a kid from a small town in Sussex County , Delaware that’s something i’ll never forget. Wish I could’ve got the win , but one things for certain I may have been the first man to get his ass kicked in Maryland MMA, but I damn sure wont be the last!

Tim Lumber: Once again you will be fighting in the 1st match of the night. You will be taking on one of John Rallo’s students in Rick Desper. How hard have you been training for this upcoming MMA fight?

Steven Baker: I have been training harder then ever 7 days a week sometimes 2 times a day. I know what a great program John has over there at Ground Control, so I really have to be on my p’s and q’s for this match. Rick is a brown belt in jiu-jitsu and is coming off a loss as well at shogun, so i’m expecting the toughest fight of my career so far.

Tim Lumber: How long have you been training in MMA, and when did you know you wanted to be a MMA fighter?

Steven Baker: I started training around April of 2008 for my 1st MMA fight in Combat in the Cage 13th Strike. Prior to that it was just my dad and my brother Bruce Lee Baker learning jiu-jitsu from instructional magazines or tapes whatever we could find. But I realized quickly that I needed to get with a team and train with some people that have fought in the cage before, so i joined Brad Pole’s primal fighting systems, and have been there ever since. Its been a perfect fit for me , and cant thank him enough for all the doors he has opened for me. I grew up on Bruce Lee movies and the Tao of Jeet Kune Do was basically my Bible until I saw the first UFC on pay per view. I knew this was something I wanted to do when I first saw Royce Gracie win the 1st UFC. Like a lot of guys it really struck close to home for me when I read about the history of Jiu- Jitsu and how Relio Gracie was told he’d never do what his brothers were doing, because he was to frail and small. It really struck me as a motivating force since I was always this skinny kid that was born with a cleft lip and never allowed to play any sports in school. So for me it just goes to show what alot of heart and determination can do when you put everything you have into it and give it your all regardless of the outcome. Reminds me of a quote from Tao of Jeet Kune Do , “success is a journey not a destination”- Bruce Lee.

I would like to thank Steven Baker for taking time out to do this interview for me. I would like to wish him the best of luck this saturday night at Shogun Fights 2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home